Based in Wellington, New Zealand, award-winning special effects facility Weta Workshop is known around the world for our work on films like The Lord of the Rings, District 9, and Avatar. Now, we’ve joined forces with Florida-based technology company Magic Leap to create Dr. Grordbort’s Invaders: the first Mixed Reality Lightfield game built on Magic Leap’s world-changing new wearable tech. Deep within Weta Workshop’s Interactive Studio, we’re traversing a new frontier in gaming, one robot at a time.
If we had you at ‘robot’, then read on…
Our team is growing rapidly. Together, we’re a family of creators passionate about making incredible things and we’re seeking the best game-makers, storytellers, filmmakers, musicians, artists and miscreants to join us here on the Miramar Peninsula.
We’re breaking new ground in games and Mixed Reality, this is your chance to be a part of creating the future!
Have you ever longed to disintegrate your tyrannical robot overlord with your trusty raygun? Of course you have, we all have; who needs motorised metal morons telling us what to do with our lives? Well now’s your chance to help thwart the mechanical menace by joining our team here at Weta Workshop and Magic Leap as a Senior Programmer.
As part of the programming team, you will primarily be responsible for working with game designers, artists, and animators to create unique, fluid and aesthetically compelling AI characters which will both challenge the player, and provide them with a fun gameplay experience. Additionally, you will have the opportunity to develop various other gameplay and mixed reality systems and features as required.
Lastly, you will have the opportunity to work with an experienced team of industry veterans who are toiling hard to create something amazing and world-changing. What more could you ask for?
- Design extensible AI architectures, and work with existing systems.
- Take ownership of low-level navigation systems.
- In-depth knowledge of IK assisted animation systems.
- Work closely with art and design staff and be able to provide support tools they can use.
- Understand and be able to clearly communicate the tradeoffs between behaviours, fun factor, and the technical costs.
- Actively participate in project planning, content review and playtesting sessions.
- Engage in R&D of new tools and technologies relevant to the project.
- Previously shipped titles which had a strong focus on character-based navigation and combat in an AI programmer capacity.
- Experience developing behaviour and animation trees.
- Experience with solving navigation challenges from low-level nav mesh optimisation, to using IK animation systems in arbitrary environmental conditions.
- Previous experience with Unity and C# would be beneficial, but is not essential
- All your information will be kept confidential according to Equal Employment Opportunities guidelines.
To apply visit: https://boards.greenhouse.io/magicleapinc/jobs/269777