Joy Business Academy is a growing and ambitious studio striving to push the boundaries of lifelong learning, using modern
digital tools, game design techniques and innovative technologies to re-envision what learning can
represent in a global, diverse, post-industrial world.
We are calling out for an experienced and insightful UI/UX Designer to come work with our diverse team of programmers, artists, instructional designers, and game designers. At JBA, you will be expected to concept, reference, and create attractive and effective user interfaces and for use in various types of games for training, including virtual reality, and augmented reality—on a variety of platforms.
We are looking for a proactive, fun-loving and enthusiastic team player to help our team in the planning and creation of 2D art assets for the Unity game engine. Ideally, you will have an in-depth understanding of the technical solutions required for the integration of clean, modern UI in game production pipeline.
You will also understand the importance of visual communication, and a strong understanding of user experience, information hierarchy, colour palette, typography, iconography, and other aspects of your craft.
You are a provider of solutions that are creative, practical, and aligned with the project’s objectives. You are proactive, and develop approaches to solutions independently. You enjoy working closely with members of a team that possess a wide range of skills, personalities, and perspectives while not being shy to share your own vision of creating impactful and positive experience for people.
We appreciate specialists that can occasionally wear a few other hats. With your particular skills, you will be a large part of our continuous journey—and an integral part of the lifelong journey of learning forothers.
Sounds intriguing? Read up on what we’re looking for—and let us know if you are the one.
DESCRIPTION OF DUTIES
● Collaborates with our various development teams, to execute the determined style and tone of user interface experience for the final product.
● Collaborates with artists, clients, and the Product Owner to concept and generate optimised assets as well as components consistent with the project’s requirements.
● Takes ownership of both the user interface art and user experience design.
● Generate flowcharts, wireframes, and functional prototypes demonstrating user flow.
● Create documentation including style-guides, technical requirements and design.
● Collaborates with other disciplines (Design, Art, FX, Community Managers, Live Operators, and Tech) in order to achieve a high-quality user interface experience and promotional materials.
● Coordinates with Production (Scrum Masters, Product Owners, Clients) to ensure deadlines are achieved.
● Able to plan optimised UI art asset pipelines, and efficient workflows in alignment with the
technical requirements of the project and Tech Leads.
● Able to implement, test, profile and debug UI artwork and assets.
● Perform research and mockups as necessary to participate in initial user interface design.
● Design and create promotional artwork.
● Manage and mentor less senior UI/UX Designers.
● Strong advocate for UX design—and best practices—in the studio.
● Assemble and responsibly commit UI assets for use with Unity projects.
SUMMARY OF REQUIREMENTS
● Mastery of fundamental UX design principles, typography, colour theory, artistic fundamentals.
● Flexible and enthusiastic problem solver.
● In-Depth understanding of the requirements—and challenges—of game-related UI and user flows.
● Strong 2D and 3D art skills.
● A solid grasp of asset design for created elements in respect of slicing and layering—in respect of developer workflows.
● Degree in an art/design-related subject, or strong equivalent in work experience.
● Experience with industry-leading tools such as Photoshop, Illustrator etc.
● Strong sense of user experience in games.
● Technically capable to troubleshoot your work in-game.
● Organized and detailed with excellent written and verbal communication skills and attention to detail.
● Strong graphic design and artistic skills, typography, colour theory etc.
● Self-driven, collaborative, team-player that likes to focus on solutions.
● Not afraid to fail—but with an eye constantly on success!
● Fluent in English (written and spoken).
● Legally able to work and reside in New Zealand.
● Experience in 3D applications.
● Knowledge of keyframe animation and f-curves manipulation.
● Ability to execute a wide range of artistic styles.
● Shipped at least one commercial game as a UI/UX Designer.
● Knowledge of any scripting language.
● Experience working in an Agile development environment.
● Experience with one form of repository management or another (GIT, SVN, Perforce etc.).
● Experience with the Unity UI system.
Submission / Portfolio Instructions:
● Cover letter
● Submit a clean and well presented CV.
● Online portfolio demonstrating relevant, high-quality examples of user interface work.
● A UI test may be required based on portfolio evaluation.
We are an equal opportunity employer and value having members that represent our global diversity. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, colour, nationality, gender, sexual orientation, age, marital status, or disability status. In fact, we respect individuals of a wide, and representative variety that wish to—in turn— come to respectfully and meaningfully collaborate with others; together creating value greater than the sum.
If this sounds like a place for your talents, ideas and values to integrate with ours, don’t hesitate to apply!
Contact Jerome Kelsey <email@example.com> with your portfolio & CV.