Based in Wellington, New Zealand, Weta Workshop’s gaming division – internally known as Weta Gameshop – is an eclectic mix of game developers, musicians, artists and passionate industry professionals. Our team is made up of a diverse range of developers from many nationalities, and we pride ourselves on our studio culture, which encourages a strong work/life balance, standard working week and above all else, a sense of fun and mischievous enjoyment. We strongly embrace cultural diversity and celebrate individuality.
Having recently shipped our inaugural title – Dr. Grordbort’s Invaders – to players and critics acclaim, we are expanding our team as we move onto crafting new and exciting experiences for the revolutionary Magic Leap platform – experiences which will not only be groundbreaking in their own right, but ones which will also further help to cement Magic Leap as the future of interactive entertainment.
We all feel that we have the best job in the world, working for an amazing studio on technology which is years ahead of its time, and we’d love for you to join us. We’d especially love to hear from applicants who appreciate the challenge of working on the next technological leap forward; dreamers, inventors, visionaries – please read on…
We are currently looking for a talented, enthusiastic Junior Game Designer to join our team in beautiful Wellington, New Zealand.
As a part of Weta Gameshop’s design team, we’ll ask you to work with multidisciplinary teams of designers, programmers, artists, effects, and audio developers to create fun and engaging mixed reality experiences for Magic Leap. You’ll be designing to provide our players with challenging and immersive multiplayer gameplay, while seamlessly integrating mixed reality narrative exposition.
With that in mind, our ideal candidate for this role would be someone with a strong creative streak, who enjoys the challenge of unexplored design territory. Interpersonal and communication skills are a must, along with previous hands-on implementation experience.
- Create fun and challenging multiplayer gameplay that interacts with the real-life world.
- Work with the team to design and script unique, expansive and engaging gameplay moments.
- Work with the programming and technical art teams to improve existing tools and suggest changes to drive development efficiency and iteration speeds.
- Participate in content reviews/game playtests and be able to suggest potential layout and pacing improvements.
- Enthusiasm for exploring the possibilities of a brand new medium, and pushing the limits of mixed reality.
- Ability to embrace, and thrive within, the medium-defining and exploratory work environment.
- Previous games industry experience, or equivalent personal project experience.
- Good knowledge of Unity.
- Previous experience working on realtime multiplayer titles would be beneficial, but is not a prerequisite for this role.
August 2, 2019