A44 Games is a world leading video game developer based in Wellington, New Zealand. Founded in 2013, our studio has grown from a small indie studio into a burgeoning AAA game studio.
We are looking for full time game developers to join our growing team. The ideal candidate will be experienced in video game development and have an eagerness to become an integral part of our future growth plans.
As a Mid-Level Designer, you will work closely with our multidisciplinary team to deliver on the creative vision for the game as outlined by the Game Director/s by building story-driven open worlds, and creating memorable gameplay experiences within them.
You will be expected to take ownership over your designs while collaborating with different departments to bring your content to life in a way that puts gameplay first. You will need to be an effective team player who can contribute to new and existing ideas as well as adjust to change in design choices as necessary.
- Create design documents which describe the design intent, following our established processes.
- Implement gameplay elements into levels and suggest new ways of using interactive and non-interactive elements to bring out the desired gameplay or player emotions.
- Prototype, iterate and polish moment-to-moment gameplay in levels and work with other designers and departments to achieve high quality designs that are fun to play.
- Maintain a focus on all aspects of design and gameplay with an ability to clearly communicate their intent to any necessary stakeholders.
- Support the maintenance of existing in-house tools and processes.
The above list is not exhaustive, and the role may change to meet the overall objectives of the company.
- Bachelor’s degree in game development
- Portfolio of work including completed projects and written game design documentation.
- 2+ years of design experience in a video game development environment
- Have shipped at least one AAA title
- Knowledge of design processes including level flow, scale, structure, pacing and environmental storytelling.
- Willingness to learn and ability to adapt to new processes, accept critique and iterate.
- Ability to conceptualize, critically analyze, prototype and implement game ideas.
- Attitude of being a team-player in an energetic multidisciplinary team.
- Ability to collaborate with designers and artists to create compelling content for players to explore.
- Solid understanding of industry trends, game design methodologies, and the ‘Souls like’ genre.
- Proficiency with Unreal 4 (UE4) Blueprints.
To apply for this position please email your CV, portfolio & cover letter to: email@example.com
August 31, 2022