We’re PikPok, New Zealand’s longest standing game developer, and we make great game experiences.
We want to create and entertain, while being successful and enjoying what we do. Over the years, we’ve built lots of games for all sorts of platforms, most recently titles like Dungeon Inc. and Into the Dead 2 on Android and iOS. Our teams are small, and everyone involved can contribute to the decisions that shape the products.
We’re always working to build and maintain an inclusive, safe and fun studio culture. We have an amazing group of designers, artists, programmers and support staff and we’re looking to add to it.
To us, design is about creating amazing play experiences that engage and entertain. Which brings us to you – we’re looking for a talented Senior Game Designer who knows how to motivate teams and help develop innovative designs. Games are collaborative exercises, and we want someone who’ll succeed through their interactions with all disciplines.
You love games!!! You have strong organisational skills. You’re a great communicator & team player and are able to grasp new concepts quickly. You have a deep understanding of and passion for F2P games. You are self-motivated and have confidence dealing with complex and challenging situations. You care deeply about our players and can deliver beyond their expectations. You will be a key force in driving the vision for our games, be pro-active in ensuring that our games meet industry best-practices in all areas, and above all are fun, fun, fun.
We welcome applications from diverse candidates and those with a range of backgrounds, skills, and experiences.
- Work with a core team of product managers, programmers, artists and other game designers to create world-class, highly entertaining (and retaining) game titles.
- Drive and develop the design and vision for titles, within any required brief constraints and in conjunction with the rest of the game’s core team.
- Work with our marketing, community and UA teams to understand the audience for the game.
- Work with the product manager and development team to plan, estimate and scope to ensure that the game is delivered on time, to budget and to highest possible quality – while maintaining design vision.
- Work on all aspects of a game design (either solo, or with others as required): from initial concept, to structure & flow, to level design, monetisation and balancing.
- At times, lead the work of other on-team designers, including assigning & delegating tasks and regular on-team 1on1s
- Work with our Analytics team to design and monitor pre and post release analytics for games.
- Use analytic data, your industry knowledge and best-practices to develop strategies to improve appropriate KPI’s throughout the product’s life-cycle.
- Pro-actively look to improve the gameplay experience at all phases of development, with the aim of increasing engagement and retention.
- Work with the product manager to develop the forward-looking roadmap for the game.
- Clearly communicate the game design to all parties, including 3rd parties and PikPok senior management, throughout development. Be an advocate for your game.
- Clearly document the design (and any changes/iterations) at all stages.
- Co-ordinate and liaise with relevant external parties such as clients, translation services and audio contractors as required.
- Actively research, and champion, industry best practice in all areas of game design and user experience.
- Work with PikPok’s design director on expanding the skills & knowledge of the design team.
- Meld to the needs of the team, filling other duties as required
Desired Skills & Experience
- 4+ years game development experience.
- At least 1 completed/released game title on which you had significant design input
- Excellent understanding of mobile and F2P game models, business models and the varying motivations that drive players to keep playing.
- Good self management skills; great ability to work with others in a collaborative environment.
- Expertise with Unity, Excel, Word and data visualisation tools.
- A good ability to pick up new tools quickly.
- Strong focus on customer experience and commercial success
- Understanding of UX design and the benefits of Games User Research
- Burning desire to make highly entertaining games.
How to apply
Please send your application along with a digital copy of your resume/CV to email@example.com.
May 31, 2019