Mad Carnival is an inclusive and diverse game studio creating joyful and beautiful games for everyone to enjoy. Based in Tāmaki Makaurau (Auckland) and Ōtepoti (Dunedin) in Aotearoa, we’re creating games that are wholesome, non-violent, for all ages, and provide safe and inclusive entertainment for kids and adults alike.
We’re mad about creating games that are all about enjoying moments of fun with friends and family and we’re looking for an enthusiastic and experienced Developer/Programmer to join our team and help us across multiple OIP titles.
You will be part of a team responsible for the delivery of games across a range of platforms, sharing in creating the best and most fun experiences possible. The role will be hands-on with code development, leading our dev team and contributing to design discussions and proposing solutions to the day-to-day challenges of overall development.
We’re looking for someone with a team-oriented, naturally optimistic mindset that thrives on doing things the right way from the beginning – building a great foundation for our games. You’ll be able to hit the ground running with the ability to work autonomously as well as lead and collaborate with a small team of developers alongside the rest of our multi-talented team.
Ideally the role will be based at our Dunedin studio to work alongside our development team however there is an opportunity for the right person to work remotely with regular team sessions both virtual and in person.
Skills & Responsibilities
- Develop games across a range of platforms including mobile, pc, console
- Instil a high level of code quality and technical innovation
- Code and architect gameplay mechanics and tools in an efficient and reusable manner
- Good analytical and problem solving skills
- Collaborate closely with other developers and rest of the team
- Ability to prioritise to meet deadlines
- Ideally have shipped at least 1 title in mobile or pc games
- 3+ years of game industry experience
- Leadership experience or looking to grow into a leadership role
- Professional understanding of the game development cycle and programming tasks required to deliver games
- Experience using various profiling tools to optimise performance – mobile experience would be a bonus
- Proficient knowledge of code versioning tools
As a small studio focussed on family, fun, diversity, and inclusion we have a supportive, collaborative and creative working environment where your ideas and opinions are heard and respected. We’re committed to supporting your personal and professional growth and can provide ongoing learning opportunities.
We offer flexible working opportunities and a friendly and fun team who have a combined vision and ethos. We enjoy regular social activities and the opportunity to attend local and international game conferences as well as being part of the CODE community which offers added value through regular workshops and game dev meetups.
This is an exciting opportunity for a like-minded person to join our exciting journey in creating wholesome games that bring joy and fun to our players and our team. We invite and encourage applicants from a diverse range and implore people from typically under-represented groups to apply. If you have the right software skills and are looking to move from a digital agency or software development company to start a career in the games industry we’d also love to hear from you.
If this sounds like your type of studio and team please apply here with your CV including game examples and a covering letter: https://www.seek.co.nz/job/57915345
August 31, 2022