Space Rock Games is a fully-remote game development studio based in New Zealand. We are committed to ethical development practices with zero tolerance toward harassment and abuse while also having a no-crunch policy.
Our first game, Criminals Within, is a 3rd person cooperative-only action game set in a medieval fantasy kingdom and is currently in development.
We are looking for an experienced Technical Artist to join us in the development of our debut game – Criminals Within.
If you are eager to tackle any problem that arises, if you love medieval fantasy and you like the flexibility of being able to work from wherever you want – we would love to hear from you!
Full-time contract role with flexible hours, remote only.
What you would be doing
- Create world class visual effects and shaders – because we all want the game to look dope
- Mentor junior team members – so that we can all get better at what we do
- Monitor and optimize the performance of the game – to make sure players’ computers do not crash and burn while playing our game
- Help improve the art pipeline – by assisting in building art tools and by implementing automated optimizations
What you must have
- 3+ Years experience in games as an artist
- 2+ Additional years of experience as a tech artist
- Delivered at least 1 commercial game – ideally multiple
- Strong understanding of the art production pipeline
- Experience in mentoring junior/intermediate team members
- Working experience with Unreal Engine (4 or 5)
- Ability to create high quality shaders & post-processing effects
- Advanced knowledge of VFX creation (ideally with Unreal’s Niagara)
- Experience creating benchmarks and testing them
- Optimization knowledge of a shipped game, specifically in visual effects, lighting, scenes and shaders
- A desire to learn and further improve your skills
- A proactive and self-reliant personality
- Ability to effectively communicate in English, both verbally and written
What is advantageous to have
- Knowledge of environmental production techniques & tools
- Ability to create tools to improve art production efficiency
- Knowledge of writing technical documentation
- Modelling experience in Blender / Houdini or any equivalent.
- Console development experience
- Competency in coding languages (Python, C++, etc)
- Experience with multiplayer games
- Experience in integrating art assets into game systems
- Rigging experience
- Advanced understanding of UE5/4 (Chaos, Simulation, Physics Assets and Rigs)
Why work with us
- You can work on an awesome medieval fantasy action game coming to PC/Console
- You can actually meaningfully contribute to the game and it’s design
- Flexible working hours
- Strict no crunch policy
- Work from home – or anywhere you want as long as you have access to internet
- Profit pool – we all benefit from a successful game
- Team building and games nights
- Friendly, respectful and supportive working environment
- Time to explore learning opportunities
If you are interested please don’t hesitate to reach out. Send us an email at firstname.lastname@example.org with your portfolio and CV and we will be in touch!
September 1, 2022