Want to get involved in game development and meet other developers or studios? There is a healthy community of events and professional conferences throughout New Zealand. Check the News section, our Facebook group or Newsletter for upcoming events.
Following a decision to have The New Zealand Game Developers Conference rotate between the major NZ cities so that the most Kiwis will have a chance to attend, NZGDC19 will be held 4-6 September 2019 at Te Papa, Wellington. For more information regarding the future of NZGDC, please see here. Previous years have been sold out with over 450 delegates and keynotes from some of the world’s most successful and acclaimed game developers.
- Attend the Wellington Game Developers Meetup on the first Tuesday of each month
- Attend the Wellingtaru casual drinks in Wellington on the third Wednesday of each month
- Attend the Auckland Game Developer Meetups on the first Wednesday of each month
- Check out the Auckland Indies casual drinks group
- Attend the Christchurch Game Developers Meetup on the first Thursday of each month
- Attend occasional Dunedin Game Developers Meetups
- Check out the Hamilton Game Developers group
- Attend occasional Tauranga Game Developers Meetups
Other Conferences and Events
- Exhibit your game in the NZ Games Showcase at Armageddon Expo (yearly in Auckland, Tauranga, Wellington and Christchurch).
- Exhibit at Chromacon, an indie arts festival (including indie games) running every second year in Auckland.
- The Indie Game Showcase and the Indie Biz Showcase both take place yearly in Auckland.
- Take part in the 48-hour Global Game Jam in late January in locations around New Zealand (and around the world).
- Take part in the 48-hour Kiwi Jam mid-year in locations around New Zealand.
- Attend the Play By Play conference, part of the NZ Games Festival in Wellington.
- Like and follow the NZGDA Facebook group for regular news updates
- Follow @nzgda on twitter
- Subscribe to the NZGDA newsletter (also sent to all members)
- Follow and use #nzgamedev on social media
- Ask a friend or firstname.lastname@example.org to add you to the NZ game dev group on Slack
Not all events or groups listed here are directly organised by the NZGDA, but are friends of ours. If you’d like to promote a game making event or opportunity email email@example.com.