Are you a community minded game developer who wants to help grow New Zealand’s game development sector? Then consider standing for the New Zealand Game Developers Association 2017 board!
- 6 pm, 18 August 2017 – Deadline for candidates to submit their statements
- 21 August 2017 – Candidate statements published on NZGDA.com
- 28 August 2017 – Online ballots emailed to all current NZGDA members (https://nzgda.com/about-us/join-now/)
- 12 pm, 6 September 2017 – Voting closes
- 6 September 2017 – Results announced at Annual General Meeting and on NZGDA.com
The New Zealand Game Developers Association was formed in 2001 to champion, support and grow video game development in New Zealand. It is a not-for-profit incorporated society, and the elected Board is responsible for coordinating the activities of the Association. You can learn more about our role and activities here: https://nzgda.com/about-us/what-is-the-nzgda/
The NZGDA welcomes diverse candidates from across New Zealand, in any role in the industry or craft who are current members of the Association.
The Board has 9 members who are elected for a one year term.
- Chairperson – chairs board and annual meetings, responsible for annual planning, delegates responsibilities to other board members and volunteers, first point of contact for stakeholder or potential member enquiries, spokesperson on industry issues.
- Secretary – manages the membership database, manage finances including annual reports, record minutes, manage assets and subscriptions.
- Board Members – carry out and provide guidance on the activities of the Association. Specific roles and responsibilities are defined by the new board when they elected each year. In general, it is expected that each board member is responsible for leading 1-2 annual initiatives.
Being on the NZGDA Board is a fantastic and rewarding opportunity. Although the newly elected board can form their own priorities, here’s what to expect based on how the 2016/2017 Board has operated:
- Monthly 1-2 hour Board Meetings on Google Hangouts. For the first one to two months calls may happen fortnightly to establish momentum
- Input into significant activities such as NZGDC, GDC, KiwiGameStarter, website, messages to government
- Be responsible for managing 1-2 activities each year, such as NZGDC, Kiwi Game Starter, ongoing government relations.
- Attend NZGDC
- A lot of short emails to approve decisions or to provide perspectives/advice on activities other NZGDA Board members are doing (e.g., “Vote to prioritise these 3 potential keynote speakers”, “I’m writing to the Minister to say X, is that OK?”)
- Being legally responsible for the Association’s activities and operations
- Being a continual champion for your local community and the NZGDA
How to Stand for the Board
To submit your candidacy please use https://goo.gl/forms/QrrOxA1AcRjIKxre2 by 6 pm 18 August 2017 and which will require:
- Your name and e-mail address.
- A candidate statement, max. 350 words, explaining who you are and what you would bring to the board to serve the membership and NZ game development community. You can see the current board’s candidacy statements from 2016 here.
- Which position(s) you are standing for: Chair/Secretary/Board Member
- You may also include a picture of yourself should you wish, which will be included alongside your statement.
If you have any questions don’t hesitate to contact firstname.lastname@example.org or ask a current Board Member.